Feb 6, 2011

New Toys, New Place, and Evil Sickness

I swear the whole state is sick right now. The flu is ripping through my office, J has been sick with the creeping crud for a few weeks, I had a stomach thing Monday, and now I've got the creeping that J had. Awesome. I was supposed to work all weekend, but couldn't do anything yesterday. Hopefully I don't fuck anything up today.

In other news, we're moving!! YAY! We found a great little 3 bedroom house with a fenced in yard in a good neighborhood. Rent is a good price, there are two HUGE trees in the backyard, J can have his veggie garden, I can have a library/office/yarn room in one of the bedrooms (I have my eye on the littlest one that's right off the kitchen), all electric everything (no gas or oil bill!!), washer and dryer included in a mud room attached to the kitchen (the mud room is huge!), big kitchen, hardwood floors, a driveway, and a locking shed. No garage or dishwasher, but that's ok. We sign the lease tomorrow. The neighborhood is super quiet, people aren't afraid to park nice cars on the street, about 3/4 of a mile from a library (the ebooks are compatible with my nook!), close to the 295 (which means a quicker commute for me whether or not we move warehouses), close to a recreation center (I'll have to look into it, but I see they have a pool, which would be nice to walk to if they have adult only swim hours), and close to the airport. No buses roaring through the neighborhood, no bright shiny LED signs lighting up my bedroom like it's daylight 24 hours a day, no clubs nearby, and no people right up next to me (the houses have a decent distance between them). Love.

My mother sent me two housewarming gifts for the new place even though we haven't moved yet. 1) A Vitamix and 2) a friggin' Dyson vacuum! I've used the Vitamix three times this weekend. I love it. It's amazing. It just pulverizes anything you put in it. I made a smoothie from kiwis, a pear, lime juice, lots of honey, and ice in about 10 seconds. The ice went POOF!! And then I had frozen smoothie goodness... I also made raspberry soy milk (but I blended it too long so it got foamy), and soup. The soup is what made me fall in love with the Vitamix. I made a baked potato soup with cheese and bacon. The potatoes and bacon were cooked ahead of time. I threw everything into the Vitamix COLD, turned it up to high, and then 5 minutes later I had hot steamy soup. I'm honestly a little scared of the thing. Anything that pulverizes potatoes and makes about a quart of molten lava soup in 5 minutes should be feared. I want to make the avocado tortilla soup recipe that came with the Vitamix next. I also need to make ice cream this week before J leaves. You can seriously make ice cream in a few minutes in this thing. Freakin' amazing!!

Oh, and the Dyson. It shipped yesterday, so I will report back after I've been able to re-vacuum my carpet. It's actually a carpet and hardwood floor model, so it probably won't suck quit as much as the Dyson Animal, but it should suck better than my crappy $30 vacuum! And I so mean "suck" in the good way that a vacuum should... I can't wait to take it to the interior of my car. First thing I'm doing on the first warm weekend after we move is cleaning my car. I will wash it, vacuum it, windex the interior windows, clean all of the dust and crap out of the crevices, and finally get all of the broken glass out of the back from when my car got broken into.

I have read more books this year than I did all last year. I've completed the Hunger Games series (crack on paper, I tell you), two of the three Parasol Protectorate books (about 60 pages from the end of the third), and..... I read two other books, but I can't remember what they were. The sickness is invading my brain! I love my nook.

Right. Back to work.

HEY! I can add a "house" tag now!! This is exciting. It's been nearly 10 years since I've lived in a house.

2 comments:

Bethanie said...

You are the third person who's said they really liked the Hunger Games series. Melanie and Shannon swear by them...I bought the hardback set for Mel for Christmas. I'm just not entirely convinced they're really my kinda thing. Maybe I'll try them out once I finish re-reading Outlander.

And, I know I've already told you this, but I'm so excited about your house!!! Squee!!! I can't wait until I get to be excited about a new house...meanwhile, I guess I'll focus on the "to do" list for the current house. *sigh*

Unknown said...

I didn't think I'd like the Hunger Games, but it was an interesting read. I wouldn't say I enjoyed it because it kind of scared me to think of the possibility that something like that could really happen, but it was good. I cried. Multiple times. Get the first one from the library if you're not sure (does Kern County Library do ebooks?? You could get it on your kindle!). It was better crack than Twilight, but the same level of addictiveness. I'm even trying to get J to read it because I think he'd like it!

Post a Comment